CRTC Prize for Excellence in Policy Research
The CRTC is proud to co-sponsor the CRTC Prize for Excellence in Policy Research with the Canadian Communication Association (CCA). The Prize was launched in 2015 to encourage a new generation of academics to contribute to Canada’s public policy development through research on emerging issues in information and communication studies.
Canadian graduate students and post-doctoral researchers at universities in Canada and abroad are encouraged to submit papers on cross-cutting themes in Canadian information and communication studies, such as the following:
- Canadian content on TV and online (production, distribution, funding, “discoverability,” etc.)
- Media concentration and democracy
- Telecommunications and the digital divide
- Technological changes and their impact on society
- Other relevant themes
- Monetary awards in three categories:
- PhD candidates: $2,500
- Master’s degree candidates: $1,500
- Postdoctoral researchers: $1,000
- Travel to the CCA Conference and to the conference of the Canadian chapter of the International Institute of Communications (IIC)
- Publication of winning papers in both official languages on the CRTC website
- Presentation of winning papers before CRTC Commissioners and other federal policy makers
The total estimated value of the Prize ranges from approximately $8,000 to $10,000.
- Students enrolled in a graduate program at a Canadian university
- Canadian students (including permanent residents and landed immigrants) enrolled in a graduate program at a university in another country
- Canadian post-doctoral researchers (including permanent residents and landed immigrants) affiliated with a Canadian university
Applicants must become fully-paid members of the CCA.
How to submit your paper
Papers must be:
- Submitted in English or French;
- Between 6,000 and 8,000 words (bibliography and appendices included);
- Presented in a recognized scholarly format; and
- Sent by email to the Vice-President of the CCA.
The submission deadline for the 2018 Prize is:
Friday, January 26, 2018
(before midnight EST)
- Date modified: